Back up.

image_pdf

I don’t know why, but after upgrading WordPress a couple of weeks ago none of my posts would display. Fortunately I was able to export them, and to back up all of my media. Today I completely uninstalled WordPress and rebuilt the site from the ground up.

Now that I can once again create new content and have it display I’ll resume my sporadic posting schedule.

2 comments

  1. I had a similar experience with WordPress about 10 years or so ago. I was relatively new to WordPress at the time and had–I thought–closely followed the upgrade instructions, step by step (no “automagical” upgrades then; it was all upload new files via FTP, etc.), but somehow missed something. My WP maven shook her chicken bone rattle at it a couple of times and all was well. Then, another time, I introduced a malformed “DIV” and *poof* ALL my content refused to display, not just that one post. Weird.

    WP is still semi-magical to me. I sorta get php, though I haven’t put a lot of effort into digging into it all that much, and have had a wee bit of fun modding some of the files in either a text editor or using the built in Edit tool, but that’s as far as I have ever gone in gaining any understanding of WP–IOW, not far at all, at all.

    Glad you’re back up. I was about to email and ask about the downtime.

    1. I think that the problem this time was with the theme I was using during the upgrade, although I can’t be certain. I also had some issues with my hosting provider. The automated upgrades kept timing out in the “fastcgi” process. I eventually had to do a manual upgrade and that appeared to be successful.
      I started working on a new post and saved a draft. When I went to preview it I learned that everything that had to do with viewing or editing posts in WordPress was broken. Strangely, I was able to edit and view pages, so I put one up indicating the problem with posts. Then it was just a matter of finding time to fix things.
      “Repairs”, re-runs of the upgrade, editing broken files, nothing worked. Finally I completely uninstalled WordPress dropped all of the related database content and reinstalled. I then imported my backed up content and a reduced functionality version of the site was back online. I put my plug-ins back in place and tried to find my old theme… which appears to no longer be available.
      I think I like the current theme. We’ll have to see though. It has some quirks that bother me, particularly with links and block quote backgrounds that I resolved temporarily with some custom CSS. Anyway, I’m glad to be back up.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *